Blissfully Better is one of the many treasured Big Tree Farms partners. We are proud to work with them to help them create healthy and delicious treats.
Blissfully Better was created and founded by Bonnie Boroian after a long search for healthier sweet alternatives. Like many mothers, Bonnie wanted to provide her family with sweets that were both smart and flavorful, but she found very few options available.
Bonnie began researching and experimenting with using ingredients and seemingly healthier sweeteners. Noting some drawbacks to the highly processed alternative sweeteners on the market, as well as the natural sweeteners with a high glycemic index, she stumbled upon coconut blossom nectar, and began to discover the wonderful low glycemic and high nutrient benefits of this unique sweetener.
After unearthing the best ingredients, perfecting several recipes and receiving continued requests from friends and family, Bonnie knew she had something Blissfully Better to share.
Aunt Bonnie’s Low Glycemic Pecan Pie
• 1 unbaked Wholly Wholesome Spelt or Gluten Free Pie Shell
• 2 cups broken pecans
• 30-60 pecan halves for the top (pick out the ones that look best an make sure you have a variety of sizes)
• 1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar
• 1 cup organic coconut palm nectar amber
• 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (no convection)
2. Melt butter into mixture
3. Melt butter into mixture, then pour into medium bowl and set aside for 30 minutes to cool (or place bowl in a bed of ice to speed cooling)
4. Once mixture is fully cooled add eggs, salt and vanilla
5. Pour broken pecans into pie shell
6. Pour egg mixture over pecans
7. Place pecan halves on top (for a more dramatic look, place in a concentric circle pattern, starting with largest pecans on outer ring an use smaller pieces as you move to the center).
8. Place on foil covered baking sheet
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes
10. For a low glycemic Whipped cream, whip 8 oz. heavy cream with 1 Tablespoon Coconut Palm Nectar