In need of powdered sugar and detest the thought of purchasing that ultra-refined white powdery stuff? It's easy to make your own at home!
1 cup coconut sugar and 1 TB arrowroot powder is all you need....blend in a coffee grinder, blender or your Vita-mix. The gorgeous rich caramel color of coconut sugar will impart a healthy golden hue color to your recipes, remember that as you may substitute in sugar cookies, white frostings and white cakes. (It does lighten a bit after blending)
A big thanks to Nourishing Meals for their contributing photos and detailed article.
Looking for a recipe to test this out? Try FoodBabe's decadent pound cake with chocolate icing.
Food Babe’s Pound Cake with Chocolate Icing
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time; 60 mins
- 3 tbsp of ground flaxseed + 9 tbsp of warm water
- 2 and ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour (or your preferred Gluten-Free; let us know how you adjust your recipe with GF flour!)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 and ⅓ cup of coconut oil (or butter)
- ¾ cup Coconut Sugar
- ¼ cup Coconut Nectar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of almond or coconut milk
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (or butter)
- 4 ounces good quality dark chocolate chopped
- 1 cup of powdered coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and thoroughly grease a loaf pan
- Combine flaxseed and water, mix well in a large bowl, and set aside for 5 mins
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in another bowl
- In the bowl with flaxseed, add sugar, other wet ingredients and mix well
- Slowly incorporate flour mixture (about a half a cup at a time) into liquid mixture
- Pour batter into the greased loaf pan
- Bake for 60 mins, it will be done when a toothpick comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool at least 45 minutes (this is important)
- While cake is cooling, melt chocolate and coconut oil on top of the stove using a double boiler
- Once chocolate has melted, remove from heat and add powdered sugar. Whisk mixture well, adding a few tablespoons of water at a time to thin out the icing to desired consistency
- Recipe makes a generous amount of icing, enjoy it all and don’t forget to lick the bowl clean!
***Please buy all organic ingredients if possible***