Cake for breakfast? If you’re looking to indulge, the next best thing could be raw chocolate tarts.
These versatile nibblers can be enjoyed as a healthy breakfast following your workout, a midday snack, or more conventionally—dessert. Ingredients offer benefits in the form of chia seeds (calcium, protein, fiber), bananas and avocados (potassium), berries (antioxidants), and of course, cacao (energy booster and mood enhancer).
The recipe below was published in The 5-Day Real Food Detox by wellness expert Nikki Sharp and shared with Big Tree Farms by Fivelements. Fivelements runs a wellness destination in Bali and its restaurant was awarded “Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year for Ubud” at the Luxury Travel Guide Awards and “Best Gourmet Vegan Cuisine” by the World Luxury Restaurant Awards—both in 2016.
This recipe makes 5 tarts. Pop them in your freezer and you’re set!
☞ Food processor or blender
☞ Silicone cupcake liners
- Combine the almonds, dates, chia seeds, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of cayenne in a food processor or blender. Pulse until the crust ingredients form a sticky piece of dough.
- Divide the dough into five pieces. Press each piece into the bottom and up the sides of a silicone cupcake liner. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Combine the banana, avocado, cacao powder, coconut nectar, and vanilla in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Divide the mixture among the crusts.
- Place the tarts back in the freezer for another 20 minutes. Then remove them from the liners.
- Top with chopped strawberries, blueberries, mint or Big Tree Farms’ cacao nibs.
Enjoy! And tag us on Instagram once you've tried this recipe. Or share your own by using #bigtreefarms.