Serve the Bees and the Bees Shall Serve Thee™
With the first drops of rain in early September, the mountain regions of Java Island experience a wonderful change of seasons…a time of flowering for many of the island’s fruit trees. The air is thick with the varied perfumes from this sudden mass blossoming. An audible buzzing can be heard on the wind. This is island honey season and our beloved bees are doing what they do best… pollinating and making honey.
Our single varietal tropical honeys are produced by traditional small-scale beekeepers on the island of Java using the rare native bee, Apis Sarana. The bees are caringly moved into large fruit plantations during the seasonal flowering where the dominant nectar collected, and then processed into pure honey, can be controlled. The result is a collection of rare honeys with incredible flavor and aroma that is perfect in drinks, spread on toast, glazed on meats or drizzled on desserts, fruits or cheeses. Or, as we do at the office, just eat it by the spoonful! Why dilute the divine?
Our honey is 100% pure and raw. No cane sugar is added. These are rare tropical varietal honeys at their best. The volume produced is not large, so savor every drop…
The combination of honey and cinnamon has been used in both oriental and Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known to mankind and honey’s popularity has continued throughout history. The two ingredients with unique healing abilities have a long history as a home remedy. Cinnamon’s essential oils and honeys enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide qualify the two “anti-microbial” foods with the ability to help stop the growth of bacteria as well as fungi. Both are used not just as a beverage flavoring and medicine, but also as an embalming agent and are used as alternatives to traditional food preservatives due to their effective antimicrobial properties.
People have claimed that the mixture is a natural cure for many diseases and a formula for many health benefits:
1) HEART DISEASES: Apply honey and cinnamon powder on bread instead of using jam or butter and eat it regularly for breakfast.
2) ARTHRITIS: Apply a paste made of the two ingredients on the affected part of the body and massage slowly.
3) HAIR LOSS: Apply a paste of hot olive oil, a tablespoon of honey, a teaspoon of cinnamon powder before bath, leave it for 15 min and wash.
4) BLADDER INFECTIONS: Mix cinnamon powder and honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink.
5) TOOTHACHE: Apply a paste of cinnamon powder and honey and on the aching tooth.
6) CHOLESTEROL: Add honey to cinnamon powder mixed in boiled water or green tea and drink.
7) COLDS: Make a glass of lukewarm honey water mixed with cinnamon powder to help boost your immune system during the cold season. It may also help to clear your sinuses.
8) INDIGESTION: Cinnamon powder sprinkled on a spoonful of honey taken before food relieves acidity.
9) LONGEVITY: Regularly take tea made with honey and a little cinnamon powder.
10) PIMPLES: Mix honey with cinnamon powder and apply paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash away the next morning.
11) OBESITY: To reduce weight, daily drink a mixture of a teaspoon of honey with half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder boiled in water with an empty stomach in the morning about half an hour before breakfast. Read: Cinnamon and Honey Recipe.
Cinnamon has an insulin boosting property (water soluble compounds called polyphenol type A polymers)which have the ability to boost insulin activity about 20 fold and can benefit people who have high sugar levels (obese people, pre-diabetics and diabetics ). Also, read the honey hibernation diet theory to find out how honey contributes to the metabolizing of undesirable cholesterol and fatty acid, provides a fuelling mechanism for the body, keep blood sugar levels balanced, and let our recovery hormones get on with burning body fat stores.
12) BAD BREATH: Gargle with honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water so that breath stays fresh throughout the day.