Sambal Tomat tends to be a milder and slightly sweeter sauce than Sambal Matah. As with all Balinese sambals, Sambal Tomat can be used virtually on any dish... vegetarian, fish, poultry or meat.
- 750 gr large chili, seeded and chopped
- 750 gr bird s eye chili, whole
- 1½ kg tomato, Skinned, wedged and seeded
- 200 gr garlic, peeled and sliced
- 400 gr shallot, peeled and sliced
- 50 gr dried shrimp paste, roasted (optional)
- 100 gr coconut palm sugar, chopped
- 4 ea lemon juice
- 400 ml coconut oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan
- add shallots and garlic and sauté until golden
- add chilies and continue to sauté until chilies are soft.
- Add coconut sugar and shrimp paste and continue to sauté until sugar caramelizes.
- Finally add tomatoes and continue to sauté until tomatoes are soft.
- Set aside and cool. Grind in stone mortar and puree coarsely. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice.
PS: Make sure to cook all ingredients over high heat while continuously mixing. This will preserve nice red color.
source : http://www.baliguide.com/balifood/sambal_tomat.html
Leave a comment